After a fallow year last year the league was back with bang. The level of enthusiasm was off the scale with both riders and volunteers as we were all so pleased to be back involved in this very special branch of cycling.
The league opened with round 1 hosted by Rockingham Wheelers at Weldon Park near Corby. The course was dry and fast with some tricky steep ascents and descents.
Round 2 was hosted by Leicestershire Road Club at Western Park in Leicester. The course was dry on the grass, but the greasy roots in the woodland singletrack and some uphill hurdles proved decisive.
WVCC hosted its first event at Misterton Hall for round 3. The anticlockwise course featured a section on the lake shore, tough climbs on the gravel track and in the middle woods and a draggy long section on grass in the main field with a left-handed pit to confuse the riders (the pros were also confused by left-handed pits a couple of weeks later at the European Championships).
The slippery off-camber turns and narrow woodland sections challenged the riders at round 4 held at Beaumont Park in Leicester hosted by Leicester Forest CC.
Wet and in places deep mud welcomed the riders at round 5 hosted by Coalville Wheelers at Cattows Farm. Here some tough turns in the mud, the heavy conditions and a section through a ditch made the difference – and we also had a spiral to make us dizzy. It was still rideable on one bike though, especially if you rode through the puddles to clear the mud.
Back to Misterton for the second time for WVCC to host the last round. A flowing course was run in the opposite direction to round 3. Here the multiple downhill zigzags on soft grass with slippery off-camber downhill turns through the mole hills in the top field proved decisive.
There has been some notable yellow success in the league this season. With best 4 rounds to count, the best of the WVCC positions are as follows:
- U9 Girls – Isabelle Dixey 1st after victories in rounds 3,4 & 6.
- U9 Boys – Charlie Hardwicke 2nd after taking 2nd place in rounds 1,3,5 & 6, George Bailey 3rd, Nate Durnin 4th and Daniel Hardwicke 5th.
- U12 Boys – Jacob Smith 5th, Dan Holton 7th, Aubrey Elmer 15th.
- U14 Boys – Jamie Kershaw 2nd after victories in rounds 1 and 3 and breaking his collarbone at round 2.
- Senior Women – Ellie Humphries 1st after victories in rounds 1,2 & 6
- Vet40 Women – Nicki Traynor 1st after victories in rounds 1-4 & 6
- Junior Men – Huw Wilson 1st after victories in rounds 2 & 3, Thomas Dixon 3rd.
- Senior Men – Michael Burke 2nd after taking 2nd place at rounds 2 & 4, Mark Fiddy 3rd.
- Vet40 Men – James Moore 2nd after a victory at round 6 and 2nd places at rounds 1-3, Simon Askham 3rd.
- Vet50 Men – Nik Kershaw was our highest placed rider in 17th.
- Vet60 Men – Vic Barnett 1st vet70, Denis Smith 2nd vet70.
Well done to everyone else who completed the league that hasn’t been mentioned. There is plenty more yellow success further down the league tables.
See the link below for the full league tables: