With no obvious end in sight to the current COVID-19 situation, the Club Committee has decided the following (and it’s not all bad news):
- All scheduled events in the current calendar year are cancelled. Therefore, no club competitions / championships will be contested in 2020 (although ‘cross and TT trophies already won will be presented).
- However, in the event of an easing of restrictions on sporting events and activities (and acting strictly within guidance from cycling’s governing bodies British Cycling, CTT etc), the club will stage as many ‘pop up’ events as possible to give members the chance to return to racing in all its different forms. Where possible, these events will be held on dates already in the club calendar; and the well-being of all involved will be paramount in their planning and delivery.
- The club will also reinstate Whizz Kids sessions club runs, chain gangs, etc as soon as it is permitted to do so.
- All current membership will be rolled through until the end of 2021 (so no fees to pay for next year).
- Anyone joining or re-joining the club this year will also benefit from membership through to Dec 31, 2021.
- The club’s annual awards dinner on November 28 will now no longer take place. However, it is likely be replaced with a social evening on the same date (assuming that’s allowed by then), where we can all get together and exchange stories of lockdown training and Strava brilliance.
- This may also be the date for a rearranged AGM (tbc).
- Finally, the club is keen for members to stay connected during lockdown and welcomes all ideas (fun and serious) for features and threads on our Facebook page. Pls email firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas.
In the meantime, the Committee’s best wishes go to you and your family in these challenging times. The Committee would also urge members to support local businesses in the coming months – and in particular those run by Welland Valley members and / or club sponsors.