Welland Valley Cycling Club
The association stages 9 time trials over the season, all on Saturday afternoons, the first on 8th April and the last on 16th September. Welland Valley CC is promoting a ten mile event for the association on 2nd September on the Sulby circuit.
The events are all on quiet roads and vary in distance between 10 and 25 miles.
Riders range from the very rapid to the very slow. The bikes used range from state of the art TT bikes to ‘bog standard’ road bikes.
For those of you who have never entered a time trial before, the final date of entry is 10 days before the race date. The first race is on 8th April, so the closing date is 28th March.
The easiest way to enter is to do so online. Go to the N&DCA website
If you click on ‘Enter Now’ it will take you to the Cycling Time Trials website where you can proceed with your entry. You will be asked for your fastest time over the distance of the event and the date you achieved it – but if you haven’t done the distance (or any other for that matter) – just put NPP (no previous performance).
The cost of entry is £10.00: £9.00 to the organising club and £1.00 to CTT as an admin charge.
The N&DCA website gives details of the various competitions within the series – for men and women, juveniles and juniors, over 50s, over 60s, over 70s. At the top of the home page, if you click on ‘Events’ you will find details of all nine events.
Why not give it a go – you won’t come last!
Dave Birch, Racing Secretary, N&DCA
25th February 2017
Michael Burke raced in the full Gas Series again today, at Lee Valley Park. After 10 minutes, Michael made an attack and was able to get into a break of 6 riders.
Working well together, they quickly built up a lead. Continuing to work well, one rider attached with 20 minutes to go. Soon after, another rider went clear and stayed away until the finish.
The remaining riders in the break-away then spinted for 3rd place, where Michael took 5th place. Well done Michael!
25th February 2017
Today was the first event in the 2017 Club Championship, featuring the 5 mile hard TT, from the bottom of East Farndon Hill to Naseby into a block headwind.
Well done to all taking part on a tough course in windy conditions, particularly Whizz Kids rider Ben Brant for taking part in his first TT.
Matt Plews rode to victory with a winning time of 17:11 - congratulations Matt!
Results can be found here:
* Event 1 results
* League tables for the Club Championship
See the WVCC facebook page for photos from the event.
A reminder to all club members that the time trial season gets underway this Saturday (25th February) with the 5 mile hard ride from East Farndon to Naseby.
The start time is 2pm.
The race HQ is near the finish line at Naseby Village Hall, so riders should allow enough time to sign on and make their way down the course to the start line back at East Farndon.
For those members planning to ride in the new TT road bike category, the club committee has issued the following guidelines to avoid any/much confusion!
1. This category is designed to broaden the appeal of TTs and to encourage more riders to give ‘the race of truth’ a go.
2. There will be no scrutineering of bikes at events, but all riders will be expected to enter into the spirit of the competition when it comes to equipment.
3. Tri-bars, disc wheels, deep section aero wheels, skinsuits and pointy hats are all out.
4. In addition, we would not expect to see any shoe covers (unless it’s raining), closed aero road helmets (unless that’s really the only hat you own) or any other TT paraphernalia.
5. All road bike times will be included in all competitions / leagues alongside those on TT rigs. However, there will be an additional road bike competition for women and men.
6. The decision of the club’s TT committee is final in all matters.
It was the Central CX League Presentation Night in Milton Keynes on Friday 10th February for the 2016/2017 cyclo-cross season.
Massive congratulations to the newly crowned champions from WVCC:
* Fraser Ayears - Junior Boys League Champion 2016/17
* Elana-Rose Fereday - Under 10 Girls Champion 2016/17
Fraser also picked up another prize for being one of only seven riders in the whole league who completed all 15 rounds.
Well done Fraser and Elana-Rose!!!